10 Common Household Electrical Problems and How to Identify Them
Electrical issues are common in households, but identifying and addressing them promptly is crucial to maintaining a safe and efficient home. In this blog post, we’ll explore 10 common household electrical problems and how you can recognize them. If you encounter any of these issues, don’t hesitate to contact a professional electrician for assistance.
- Circuit Breaker Tripping Frequently
If your circuit breaker trips often, it could indicate an overloaded circuit or a fault in the wiring. Pay attention to which appliances or devices are in use when the breaker trips, and consider spreading the electrical load or having a professional assess your wiring.
- Flickering or Dimming Lights
Flickering lights can be caused by a variety of issues, such as loose bulbs, faulty wiring, or a problem with the electrical service outside your home. If tightening the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, consult a professional electrician.
- Warm or Discolored Outlets and Switches
Warm or discolored outlets may indicate a dangerous wiring issue. If you notice this problem, unplug any devices and avoid using the affected outlet or switch until a professional can assess the situation.
- Frequent Electrical Surges
Electrical surges can be caused by lightning strikes, damaged power lines, or faulty appliances. While surges are typically brief, frequent occurrences can damage your electrical devices. Consult an electrician to identify the cause and provide a solution.
- Malfunctioning Light Switches
If a light switch doesn’t work correctly or makes a buzzing sound, it could indicate a problem with the switch or the wiring. Contact a professional electrician to diagnose and fix the issue.
- High Electricity Bills
Unusually high electricity bills could be due to faulty wiring, inefficient appliances, or a damaged electrical meter. Have an electrician perform an energy audit to identify potential issues and suggest ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Electrical Shocks
Experiencing an electrical shock when plugging in or unplugging a device is a sign of an underlying electrical issue. Shocks can be dangerous, so it’s essential to contact a professional electrician to determine the cause and resolve the problem.
- Dead Outlets
Dead or non-functioning outlets can be caused by a tripped circuit breaker, a blown fuse, or faulty wiring. Check your breaker panel and replace any blown fuses. If the problem persists, consult an electrician.
- Frequent Bulb Burnouts
If your light bulbs burn out more often than expected, it could be due to poor bulb quality, high voltage, or incorrect wattage. If you’ve ruled out these factors, have an electrician inspect your light fixtures and wiring.
- Rodent Damage
Rodents can chew through electrical wiring, causing short circuits and potential fire hazards. If you notice any signs of rodent infestation or damaged wiring, call a professional to address the issue immediately.
Identifying and addressing common household electrical problems is essential for maintaining a safe and efficient home. If you encounter any of these issues, don’t hesitate to consult a professional electrician. With our same-day service, fully licensed and insured team, and dedication to taking on smaller jobs, Kowall Electric is here to help homeowners in Delaware County and surrounding cities with all their electrical needs.
At Kowall Electric we believe in providing homeowners with exceptional electrical services that are completed on time and at a fair price. Our customers in the DELCO and Surrounding Areas have trusted us to do just that for the past 20+ years.